Feature Story

Why Queen Diamond Isn’t Slowing Down

 

Since she burst onto the hip-hop scene in 2017 with “Pretty Girl Freestyle,” the now 20-year-old rapper has been on a seemingly inexorable rise

She kept her rapping under wraps for years, even from her parents. But “when I got to college, I was like, ‘These people don’t know me. I can be whoever I want.’ One night I was rapping at a party, and suddenly everybody knew me as 'Queen Diamond'Every day, there are the lessons that come with fame. “The only thing I don’t like about having all eyes on you at all times is not all eyes are good eyes,” she says. “I still want to be able to walk into Walmart and buy dog food. I still want to party in the club and nobody’s recording me and no super-judgey internet police are going, ‘Shame!’ But all that comes with it, and you have to be prepared for people to be in your business, 24/7.

Indeed, one gets the sense that Diamond has just begun to scratch the surface of what she has to offer. She’s a strong rapper with an unusually forceful yet precise flow, shaped by the UGK and Notorious B.I.G. records her parents played. And her infectious, outgoing, fun-loving persona is easy for fans to embrace. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practice Feature Lead

Preliminary Task

My Magazine House Style